Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Friday, February 22, 2013

I come from a long line of "piddlers".

I can remember going with my paternal grandfather "Gramps" outside to get to his crawl space basement.

As I get close to the door, I can smell it, that smell that I will love for years to come, the old "musty basement" smell. I breathe it in as if it were a flower bed full of roses! I just can't get enough!!! He opened the door and to the right is a small 'cold' area that holds his 6-ounce glass coca cola bottles. He takes one down, pops the top with a bottle opener, and then we share the indescribable delicious taste of 'The Real Thing'.

This 'room' was where my Gramps could stay for hours. I don't remember exactly what he was doing, but I do remember he piddled. After my great Aunt passed away, my Gramps and Nanna moved to her house to be with my handicapped Aunt. I think the reason my Gramps agreed to leave his home for his sister-in-law's sake was because at this house, he had a real basement. There was an inside entrance that boasted steep steps and then the ceiling opened up and it was a huge full size basement with a garage door out the back! He saw it as Piddler's Paradise.  He was very creative and he could make something out of nothing.

If I ever asked my Nanna where he was she would say "Down in the basement, piddling." And now, we say the exact same thing about his son, my Dad. So, apparently I come by it naturally.

What got me writing this anyway? Ah, yes, the time here is 10:34 and I have been piddling for a good two hours :) This brought back the memory of my Gramps, and I wanted to write it down while my creativity was in the fast lane!

And, while I was traveling down memory lane, I stopped a moment and thanked God for the wonderful memories I have of my family and how thankful I was to Him that my grandparents passed on Christianity and the love of a Savior to their children and they passed it to me!

My Gramps as a young extremely handsome man!
Gramps at about 88 years old :)
He passed away at 89.
Pretty sure he was still piddling!!
Have a blessed day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow....that was beautifully written! Sure brought back wonderful memories of my time with him and his "piddle room!" I am so blessed to have known my great-grandparents and to have gotten to spend so much time with them! They were so very special and so thankful to have had them in my life. :) Thank you for sharing auntie! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and thoughts.
Please feel free to leave one!